Hall of Fame - Y
Inducted: Dec 2008
One of the most celebrated carp anglers of modern times through his fluid and stylish writing prowess, photographic skills and of course his catches.
Chris broke Dick Walker’s long-held carp record of 44lb on opening day 16th June 1980 with a Redmire mirror of 51½lb. In fact, he’d nearly broken Walker’s record some seven years earlier with a common of 43lb 13½oz, also at Redmire.
Chris is credited with the discovery of sweetcorn as a bait, having taken a tin to eat while fishing at Redmire in 1972, but only used half the contents. As an experiment with the remainder, he cast out a “hookfull of corn”... the rest is history.
Among the many fine books Chris has written are carp classics such as Casting at the Sun, The Secret Carp, Four Seasons and Shadows and Reflections, besides a long spell writing for the monthly magazine Coarse Fishing, another spell as the first editor of Waterlog magazine, plus dozens of articles for most of the UK angling press. Currently, Chris writes a twice-a-month feature in the Weekend edition of the Saturday Daily Telegraph.
In 1989, he embarked with Bob James and world-renowned wildlife cinematographer Hugh Miles to feature in the definitive Passion for Angling TV series. Chris even went back to Redmire Pool to land a couple of the famous old warriors for the camera.
Induction: December 2008
- On Fishing at Sea - Hamish Hamilton Ltd
- The Secret Carp - Stackpole Books
- Passion for Angling - Rodger McPhail BBC Books
- Casting at the sun - 1986 Medlar, 2006 Medlar Classics edition The Medlar Press
- The Deepening Pool - 1990 3rd Edition Medlar Classics, 2006 Medlar Press
- Falling In Again - Merlin Unwin 1998
- Four Seasons - Medlar Press 1996, 2nd Edition 2008
- River Diaries - Medlar Press 1997, 2nd Edition 2010
- The River Prince - (Ed.) Medlar Press 1998, 2nd Edition 2009
- Shadows & Reflections - (Ed.) Medlar Press 1999, 2nd Edition 2010
- How to Fish - Hamish Hamilton 2006
- Out of the Blue - Hamish Hamilton 2008
- Night Walk - Collins 2012